Sunday, September 11, 2011

Big, Fat, Greek Cake

Not many people can say they have been married to the same person for 50 years.  But if they have, congratulations!  I know my parents would have been married that long, but my mom passed shortly after their 25 wedding anniversary.  My dad is married again to a wonderful lady and says he's going for the next 25 years.  I hope so!  What a great life and a blessed man to "marry up" twice in a lifetime.  Not that my dad isn't a great catch...... but those of you who know him, know he's gotten very lucky in the woman department!

 Anyway, I was hired to "gift" a cake to a family in town that has been married for 50 years.  The cake turned out great and is very pretty, but was a bit much for the recipient and his wife.  I am not sure if most of it ended up in a dumpster on Walnut Street somewhere, but I hope they were able to share some of it with someone. 

I did learn a very important lesson while making this cake.  No matter how much time you put into the cake, or how important, rich or well-known that person is.....it's just a cake, right?  One cake isn't any more important than another.  The words to teach me this lesson came out of the mouth of babes.

After a stressful day and a confusing delivery of the big, fat, Greek cake, I was questioning my desire to be a cake designer.  I love to bake. I love testing new recipes.  I enjoy knowing some people hold the opinion, if Tammy made it, it's probably pretty good.  I like bringing joy and "special-ness" to the occasion even if I am not always there to see it.  But with the joy comes alot of work, fear, calories, and some sleepless nights......maybe I should just go back to teaching?  The career I have always wanted to do the most the least.  (My own saying from college after choosing teaching as a major.)

My son Jacob's birthday party was the same weekend of the Greek cake.  He kept asking me if I was going to work on the Captain Rex cake.  When are you getting to Captain Rex?  I assured him I would, but told him I was nervous if I'd be able to carve it correctly and make it look right.  Well, late Friday afternoon, Captain Rex was finished.  I completed him minutes before Jacob walked in the door from school. 

He walked in and saw the cake.  With a wide-eyed expression and a completely sincere heart, he said, "Ahhh, I knew you could do it!"  From his heart to my heart, it was confirmed.... I was doing the right thing!

The Captain Rex birthday cake wasn't just a cake to him. 

The most important cakes are for my very own family!

2 comments:

  1. Love it Tammy! :) Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tammy, this blog is just precious. You are SO RIGHT that the efforts we put toward our family are ssso much more rewarding than what we do for strangers, even if we get paid for that! XP

    The PJ cake turned out stellar, and Jacob's birthday cake is just perfect; his reaction is spot on!

    ReplyDelete